|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||Any time|
|Duration full-time:||48 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Faculty of Science:
* CMK - In this centre biologists, medical experts, chemists, economists and jurists join forces to try and unravel the underlying mechanisms of environmental problems and to find durable solutions.
* CENSTAT - The Center for Statistics has developed an international reputation. This is the result of a symbiosis between consultancy, research and education, starting from relevant problems from industry, government, research institutes, etc. CenStat collaborates with the Biostatistical Centre of KU Leuven in I-Biostat (Interuniversity Institute for Biostatistics and Statistical Bioinformatics)
* The Expertise Centre for Digital Media (EDM) performs fundamental and applied research in information and communication technology (ICT). EDM focuses on two major competence areas: human-computer interaction and visual computing. These research units count 20 to 25 researchers each and have complementary research plans. Research at EDM is always performed with an eye on possible applications in industry and society.
* IMO: Institut for materials researchPhysicists, chemists, and engineers conduct interdisciplinary, fundamental, and applied research into new material systems for applications in microelectronics, bio-electronics, sustainable energy and nanotechnology at the Institute for Materials Research and the IMEC (Interuniversity Micro Electronics Centre) department of IMOMEC (Institute for Materials Research in Microelectronics). With our research we aim to contribute to solutions for societal challenges of our time and environment in the areas of energy and health. The research precedes the industrial needs by 3 to 10 years.
* Research group Molecular and physical plant physiology - The research group Molecular and Physical Plant Physiology conducts research in three domains:
* The impact of phytohormones on the structure and function of the photosynthesis-apparatus
* Study of bacterial infections in fruit trees (apple, pear)
* Development of non-destructive fluoresccence techniques for the determination of physiological health status in plants
6. Theoretical Physics - The research in theoretical physics is situated within statistical mechanics. We study non equilibrium phenomena in small systems and near critical points. This research finds its motivation in nanotechnology and biophysics, but also involves fundamental questions concerning entropy production, fluctuation theorems, etc. Our research is done with both analytical and computational techniques
Research Topics: * Environmental biology and Zoology
* Environmental biology, Applied and Analytical Chemistry, Environmental economy
* Applied and Analytical Chemistry and Environmental Economy
* Environmental Law and Environmental Economy
* Mathematical Statistics
* Human-Computer Interaction
* Visual Computing
* Organic and (Bio) Polymer Chemistry
* Organic and Nano-structured Electronics
* Wide Band Gap Materials
* Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
* Biosensors and Molecular Electronics
* Physical and Chemical Characterization
* Theoretical chemistry and Molecular modelling
* Databases and theoretical informatics
* Mathematics: Dynamical systems
* Mathematics: Algebra
There are different types of funding for PhDs: assistants, PhD scholarships and project funding.
As an assistant, you usually get six years (in contrary to four years for a PhD) during which you divide your time between the preparation of your PhD (about 70 % of your time) and rendering of services towards the faculty, which usually consists of a teaching assignment.
As a PhD candidate, you can always apply for vacancies for assistants, so check our vacancies page regularly.
As an assistant, it will take you longer to obtain your PhD degree in comparison with a PhD student, but on the other hand you get the opportunity to acquire further skills in several areas: research, teaching, rendering services, etc.
As a PhD student, you will be working intensively on the preparation of your PhD thesis for four years. You will be involved minimally in other tasks such as teaching assignments or rendering services. In this case, you do not apply for a vacancy, but you make a PhD proposal yourself with a funding body.
You will enter into competition with other applicants with the funding body you contacted, and it depends on the quality of your study results if your application text will be selected for funding.
With a scholarship statute, you can bury yourself undisturbed into the research field of your choice for four years. You do not enter an existing research project, but you write the application text yourself, and thats why you have the opportunity to outline your own research path, in consultation with your supervisor.
As a project assistant, you will work an average of four years on the execution of a project in preparation to your PhD thesis. You will be involved minimally in other tasks such as teaching assignments or rendering services. As a PhD candidate, you can always apply for vacancies for assistants, so check our vacancies page regularly.