|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||Any time|
|Duration full-time:||36 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
|Educational variant:||Part-time, Full-time|
|Project type:||Open, Predefined|
The PhD by Publication is a Doctorate degree, much like a conventional PhD, but which recognises research work carried out by entrepreneurial companies and academic organisations that lead to novel and publishable results. The PhD is offered by Bolton University in cooperation with the University of New York in Prague.
Usually this requires a minimum of three-years. The key point is that during this time, there should be three publications, in literature approved by Bolton University. These publications should be in relation to the student's thesis and area of expertise, and should develop knowledge of the subject. The award of this PhD is based purely on these three published works, and as such rewards on-going activities, rather than additional work.
It is different from any other PhD variation, including PhD by Published Works because it is based on works to be published. Publications include papers in high impact factor journals or full international patents. This makes it incredibly versatile, as it opens the door to all aspects of enterprise, from business and science, through to the arts.
Students on the program will have to submit a thesis in English, and provide an oral defence of the new knowledge (philosophy) generated.
The PhD by Publication is suitable for candidates who: * Posses a good undergraduate degree and are eager to move up
* Have a few years experience working in research driven companies, and who will continue to work in the same field for the duration of their PhD or who are working on their own research or project
* Do not have the time to undertake Part-Time PhD studies
* Can utilise complementary facilities and expertise at collaborating academic institutions
* Can complement knowledge obtained through innovation with scientific foundation
* Aspire to be rewarded for efforts expended in the line of business with the highest academic qualification
Who Benefits: A Win-Win Situation for the student and the Company
The Candidate * Will increase depth of their knowledge
* Obtain the highest academic qualification (doctorate)
* Network with other PhD candidates and industry partners
* Become internationally known in the chosen field
The Collaborating Industry or Organisation * Has ready access to expertise and complementary research facilities
* Will benefit from two supervisors from an academic organisation
* Will have access to additional technical support staff
The program is based on the following format
* 3 inter-related projects under academic and industry co-supervision
* Participation in the Knowledge and Innovation Forum (annual event)
* Publishing of 3 works (one patent is acceptable)
Novelty of works is assessed by journal editorial boards and/or patent agencies
The Thesis includes: * 3 publications
* An introductory chapter that binds the 3 works to establish a new "philosophy"
* Conclusions and Further recommendations chapter
* Interview facing a panel of experts
* Assessment of the contributions to new knowledge created by the candidate
Participation at University events
The student is required to go to Bolton University 2 to 3 times, at least once at the beginning and once at the end where they will reply to questions in relation to their thesis to a five-member committee. Three members of the committee are representatives of Bolton University and the other two members are external associates. During the first year the supervisor directs the student as to how they should do their research. There are many subjects which the student may select for their thesis.
* Postgraduate Induction Programme * Annual 2 days event to familiarise students with research practice codes, especially publishing and IPR
* Research Forum * Monthly half day event where candidates in the same field present their findings to colleagues and industry
* Research and Innovation Forum * Annual 4 days conference / networking event
* Paper presentations by all PhD candidates
* Proceedings are book bound
* Poster presentations
* Business plan competition in groups with DBAs and MBAs
* Prizes and awards presentation
To be accepted into the program, a candidate must submit:
* Completed Application Form
* Outline (about 300 word) of your proposed research
* Certified copy of Undergraduate Degree - Bachelor´s diploma minimum
* Certified Academic Transcripts
Together with their official English translation (if not from an English teaching institution) Photocopies need to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a public notary or an attorney.
* Curriculum Vitae
* 4 Passport-size Photographs
* Copy of the ID or Passport
* Application Fee of 2.000 CZK (non-refundable)
* 2 professional recommendations
You are normally required to take an English Proficiency Test.
Most European Universities recognise the IELTS test.Take IELTS test
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contactpersons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
phdportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.