Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The PhD Programme is composed of two distinct curricula:
- Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies
The curriculum in Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies aims to train experts with a wide and thorough linguistic-literary, historical-cultural and philosophical-religious education, with regard to the geographical and cultural areas of research. The different research specialisations investigate theoretical and methodological issues in linguistic-literary, historical, philosophical-religious, artistic, anthropological, socio-economic and comparative fields.
The curriculum in Linguistics mainly aims to provide for: the acquisition of individual skills necessary to deal with highly specialised research problems and issues according to the ministerial disciplinary areas (from theoretical linguistics to modern language teaching and linguistics of the various languages chosen); the development of a theoretical-critical bent for the study of linguistic phenomena; the command of issues concerning the theory of language and language teaching.
This programme takes place in Venice (Italy, Europe) on the main campus of Ca Foscari, one of the leading European universities.
The main field of research are as follows:
- Curriculum in Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies
Modern languages, literatures and cultures (see list below); their stylistic, rhetorical, philological, historical and epistemological characteristics, as well as their context-bound peculiarities, are going to be analysed from a comparative perspective, i.e. as a premise to communication between complex cultural systems.
* Anglo-American cultures and literatures
* English culture and literature
* English-speaking post-colonial cultures and literatures
* European French and French-speaking culture and literature
* Ibero-American cultures and literatures
* Iberian Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese cultures and literatures
* Portuguese-speaking Latin American and African cultures and literatures
* German and Austrian culture and literature
* Culture, literature, philology, linguistics, history and thought of the following language areas: Albanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Croatian, Greek, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian
In addition, and inasmuch as is related to the topic: comparative studies; studies of the novel; intercultural studies; crossdisciplinary studies.
- Curriculum in Linguistics
* Grammar Theory;
* Generative Grammar;
* Didactic of Foreign Languages and of Italian as a Foreign Language.
* Italian Second Cycle Degree (Laurea Specialistica according to Ministerial Decree No 509/1999 or Laurea Magistrale according to Ministerial Decree No 270/2004);
* Italian Degree taken in compliance with the so-called Vecchio Ordinamento (before Ministerial Decree No 509/1999);
* equivalent academic qualification gained abroad.
For any further information about the type of academic qualification required and any possible additional requirements, please refer to the call for admission to the PhD Programmes.
For all the degree courses (both Italian-taught and English-taught programmes) an English language certificate (minimum level B1) is required. Applicants can find the official list of certifications recognized at:
For Italian-taught programmes an Italian B1- level language certificate is advisable. Applicants who are native Italian speakers do not need to produce any certificate. Please be advised that applicants who are not provided with the Italian language certificate can take the Italian language test to be held in early September.
PhD scholarships are awarded by a selection process that is outlined in the published call.
Candidates who are awarded a scholarship are requested to pay only the stamp duty and the regional tax for the study right, whose amount will be established by the Regione Veneto.
The amount of the PhD scholarship is EUR 13,638.47 per year, net of social security taxes payable by the scholarship holder.
Using the form on this page, you can directly ask questions to the contact persons at the university.
Fill out your contact information and message. The information you fill out in this form will be sent directly to the university. They will reply to you on the e-mail address you provide here.
phdportal.eu cannot take any responsibility for the answering of contacts or for the content of their replies.