2.8 kilometres away in Ankara
* Times Higher Education Ranks Bilkent Among the World's Top 100 Universities for Engineering and TechnologyBilkent University has been named among the Worlds Top 100 Universities for Engineering and Technology in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2013-14. Bilkent is ranked 98th and is the only Turkish university on the list.
Bilkents ranking among the top 100 universities for engineering and technology is in addition to its again being ranked among the top 400 in the overall THE World University Rankings for 2013-14. The list places Bilkent in the group of universities ranked 226-250.
* Bilkent University was founded to provide an environment for learning and intellectual growth encompassing the sciences, technology, humanities and the arts.
* Bilkent offers a stimulating learning environment and a colorful social atmosphere. Its extensive campus provides a comfortable base for academic studies and extracurricular involvement, while having the advantages of being close to a thriving metropolis. Students can commute to campus via the free shuttle system.
* Bilkent University ranks 32nd in the inaugural Times Higher Education 100 under 50 list of the worlds best young universities. According to ISI Citation Indexes, Bilkent continues to rank high in Turkey in number of published papers per faculty member and ranks high internationally.
Bilkent University was founded in 1984 as Turkeys first private, non-profit institution of higher education. With world-renowned scholars among its faculty and top-notch facilities throughout its campus, Bilkent attracts many of Turkeys brightest students.
Bilkent Universitys international community of scholars and students is an essential component of academic programs, research activities, and social life. International faculty and instructors make up more than a quarter of all academic staff, representing 40 different countries. There is a growing body of full-time international students and exchange students coming from various countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, China, Singapore, and Australia amongst others.
Bilkent has a lively campus atmosphere with plenty of cultural and social events taking place throughout the year. The 1,200 acre university campus is located 12 kilometers from the city center. Its convenient location offers easy access to the citys shopping areas, cultural activities, museums, and entertainment venues. Bilkents location in the Anatolian heartland allows easy access to major cities and many places of interest throughout the country.
Come to Bilkent and discover Turkey!
* Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, and Industrial Engineering departments are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), a prominent organization in assuring quality and stimulating innovation in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology education worldwide.
* Faculty of Business Administration is the first business school in Turkey accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a global organization of educational institutions, businesses, and other entities devoted to the advancement of management education.
* Bilkent University has gone through the Institutional Evaluation Program administered by the European University Association.
Bilkent is dedicated to providing every student with an experience that is both enriching and enjoyable. The campus is inviting, friendly and safe. Around 4,000 students stay on campus at the Universitys well maintained, safe, and comfortable dormitories while enjoying a quick snack or full meal at cafes and restaurants spread out in different locations for their convenience. Students are provided with opportunities to develop their social and personal skills as well as their educational background. While many students take advantages of the sports facilities and playing fields on campus, most of them enjoy participating in very actively functioning student clubs. Further, the students are also encouraged to get involved and actively take part in the decisions and policies made by the University Senate through the elections carried out by the Student Union.
The Office of International Students provides assistance and guidance to international students through all phases of their academic and social conduct in order to ensure an easy transition. In addition to providing information on such procedural matters as application and accommodation, this office also offers ongoing help via orientation programs and cultural trips.
Bilkent University Library is the most extensive academic library in the country, visited by 700,000 researchers and students every year. Facilities include capacious computer and internet infrastructure, modern classrooms and state-of-the-art science and engineering laboratories, and art studios.
The Health Center is open 24 hours every day. The Career Center helps undergraduate, graduate students, and alumni to take the necessary steps to achieve their career goals and provides guidance for their career development.
Ankara maintains traces of civilizations dating back to the Bronze Age, to the Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, and Persians.
The city is a center for classical music, ballet, jazz, and modern dance. The Bilkent Symphony Orchestra, founded in 1993, contribute to the citys artistic ambience with 90 proficient artists from 13 countries. Rock and blues concerts are prominent parts of Ankaras lively night life. This metropolitan city offers a vivid and rich cultural life, with miscellaneous events and institutions such as the National Library of Turkey, Turkish State Theatres, Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, Ankara Ethnography Museum, State Museum of Painting and Sculpture, and the Atatürk Mausoleum (Anitkabir). Ankara is also the home of the Turkish Parliament, ministries, foreign embassies, and 13 universities.
Shopping in Ankara can be exciting especially in the old part of the town for buying old copper, jewelry, carpets, antiques and embroidery. Modern shopping malls are scattered in and around the city. Small shopping areas, local markets and restaurants are other attractive sights one should not miss. The capital city has cheap and fast inner city transportation system including buses and subway, private mass transport alternatives. There are affordable and convenient housing alternatives in the city center as well.
Ankara offers direct flights to airlines as well as the alternatives to all regions of the country. Its location makes it very convenient for "Weekend Escapes" to reach to skiing resorts, cultural and historical sites, and the seaside.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.
Many organisations offer scholarships or grants. Some of these might help you to study for a PhD at Bilkent University!